Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Day 78 - It's a Dog's Life

It was K__'s very last late night tonight, so I phoned my parents and asked if I could pop over and see them. Top move as it turned out - I got a very nice fish pie. Result!

Going back before the fish pie, when I arrived, I'd let myself in. As I was fiddling around with the key, putting it back, I was hit in the back and sent staggering. 'Hello, Rexy-pup,' I said, turning to fuss my parents' two year-old whippet.

He's lovely. In fact, I don't think I've ever met a better-natured animal. He and the cat, Siri are totally ridiculous with each other. They can often be found in the basket asleep, paws intertwined, her head resting on his muzzle, a picture of contentment. I could barely credit it if I hadn't seen it. Our previous cat and dog
(and they were 'ours' because we were only about 13 when we got them) were completely different. Not that they hated each other, but Pagan was boss and wouldn't let Tolly forget it. Pagan was the cat, by the way; Tom and Jerry notions of cats running from the sight of a dog are bollocks in my experience. Pagan would stand behind a kitchen cabinet, wait for Tolly to arrive and then swat his nose, just to let him know she was in charge. But Rex and Siri are completely different, and as I've said, there's not a nasty bone in his body.

However, boys will be boys and Rex has quite an eye for the ladies and he's been caught in flagrante a few times. In fact, once my father found an owner of another whippet standing calmly by as Rex got his rocks off. Cheeky bloke fancied a few valuable whippet pups to sell, no doubt.

Additionally, Rex can get himself over-excited when people arrive that he likes. He jumps up and is licky and can be a bit of a nuisance. I dare say it's at least partly my fault for fussing him so much when he was younger. He's generally very well behaved and will be nice and calm after a few minutes, it's just that initial thrill of seeing someone new.

K___, it's fair to say, doesn't like animals. If there's one thing I could change about her, this would be it, but I can't and that's that. It's a bit strange because she grew up in a house with loads of cats and a dog, but she just isn't into the whole pet shebang and she certainly doesn't like it when Rex jumps up. It's only because he's excited to see her but she doesn't like it. Actually, though she'd probably never admit it herself, she's a lot calmer around him than when he first came on the scene, but on the whole, K___ would not bother with animals. I should add that she would never hurt one, she just doesn't feel the need for them.

Lest you think this is turning into an extended edition of 'Pets Win Prizes' or something, there is a baby-related point coming up. Today, my mother said that Rex was going to the vet's tomorrow. He was going for the chop. He's a bit liable to try and get dirrty with his bitches but most importantly, my folks are worried about how he'll behave with a baby around and feel they need to take steps now. We do actually know that Rex's not particularly interested in babies because one of my ma's friends brought her granddaughter around and he was very calm. Nevertheless, he can't be doing the jumping up and scratching on a heavily pregnant woman's bump and he certainly can't be leaping about when there's babies about, even if it's high spirits rather than malice.

So, tomorrow he's going to have his nuts whipped off. Poor bastard. It won't harm him, but it will certainly be a bit of a surprise, I'd imagine. 'Hang on... Didn't there used to be..?' etc. For a follow up, my folks are taking him back to dog training where the trainer will specifically work on his jumping up at people. My parents have asked if K___ and I would go along to get trained with him - not that we get excited and jump up at newcomers (not often, anyway) but so that he gets used to us giving him whatever magic signal gets him to calm down.

Poor old Rex. It's my balls that caused all the trouble, but he's the one getting 'em removed. I do feel a little responsible, you know.

1 comment:

  1. My Dad's just texted me to say that Rex is very quiet (and frankly, who can blame him?) but okay. I didn't know, but apparently whippets are not always terribly good with anasthetic, so there was some concern he wouldn't come out the other side.

    Poor little beggar.

    ReplyDelete