Thursday, August 10, 2006

Day 126 - It's Christmas..

Since it's the middle of August, let's consider Christmas.

Obviously, I realise that sounds like a bit of a strange leap of logic. It's my parents' fault. We went over there for dinner last night and they brought it up.

I'm not one of those people who goes completely mental for the Christmas thing. I think this probably due to the fact that my folks used to get themselves completely wound up about the fact that everything had to be a certain way that inevitably when something happened - I dunno, like a cracker failing to go bang or the roast not being done for 1 o'clock on the dot or something - they'd have a nervous breakdown and it would all end with my dad shouting, my mum obsessively apologising for trivial things and us three boys all looking at each other and wondering when we could all slip off to the pub instead (1989 as it turned out). To be fair, they've been fine at Christmas the last ten years or so, possibly because it's obvious that no one is that fussed about the whole thing and the pressure's off. Hmmm.

K___, by contrast, quite likes Christmas. Well, I say 'quite likes'. I mean 'is a mentalist for'. I mean 'starts getting all excited in October'. I mean 'doesn't sleep well on Christmas Eve because she's excited'...

She likes to spend it with her family. This year, we had thought we'd be spending Christmas Day with my folks as last year we were with K___'s. My mother, however, had different plans. She pointed out that because what was important to them was having all three sons together, and that certainly my brothers' other halves wouldn't be about on Christmas Day, they were hoping to have a surrogate Christmas in advance. So, this means that we can go to K___'s folks for Christmas. Someone is very happy about this.

However, before we can do that, we need to have a chat to our midwife. Since K___ is due in early January, Christmas is very much a potential time for K___ to drop the sprog (I'm hoping not, simply because having a Christmas birthday would be utter pants). Clearly there could be medical reasons why K___ is not able to go - if she developed pre-eclampsia, for example, we'd expect her to be stuck in a bed and told to stay until she gives birth - but hopefully this wont happen.

Another issue is that obviously all of our prenatal care is based on the premise that we'll be at home when Jr arrives. We're not planning on being a hundred and twenty miles away from home when the baby is born, but we're not going to pretend it couldn't happen either. We need to check out whether we need to make ourselves known to the local midwives. Could they insist that K___ goes into hospital to have the baby? What would happen if she refused?

So, there's plenty of questions, but who could deny a girl her big wish at Christmas time? [cue schmaltzy muzak]

No comments:

Post a Comment