Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Day 158 - Deep Kick

I've had an amazing experience this evening!

I finally got to see the baby kick! K___ bared her belly and said, 'watch closely and you'll see it.' I looked and looked until my eyes started to drift out of focus. Perhaps it's like one of those Magic Eye pictures and that is what you're supposed to do. On the other hand, those Magic Eye pictures don't work for me as I'm astigmatic.

'There! You must have seen that?'

Nope. Not a dickie bird. Then the baby stopped playing for a bit and after a while I settled down my end of the sofa again. Five minutes later and K___'s telling me to come back down. I parked my face a few inches away. The trouble with this baby kicking thing is that people - or at least K___ - would often have small movements through tiny adjustments of her position and the like. Bugger all to do with the baby. It's easy when you're the mum as of course you've felt it as well as seen it. No problem knowing what's baby and what's not.

Well, I watched and watched and watched, scanning for something that could be the result of the baby inside. A couple of times K___ exclaimed, 'There's one!' but I didn't see it. I didn't know whether to expect a perfect imprint of a foot to appear or the whole tummy to experience a tidal tremor, spreading out from a central point. Well, okay, I wasn't quite expecting either of those extremes, but I didn't know what I should have been looking for. Then it happened. It was gone in an instant, a tiny flicker of movement across one side of K___'s tummy. As soon as I'd registered it, K___ piped up, 'You must have seen that?' I nodded.

But that wasn't all. Not only did I feel it kick, but I felt it too - twice! The baby calmed down at that point and I returned to my end of the sofa again but K___ suddenly said, 'Quick - get down here. She's going mental!' 'Where?' I asked, shifting back, and allowed K___ to position my hand near her tummy button. After half a minute or so, K___ asked if I'd felt something. I hadn't but it was only seconds later that I did feel a quick and soft tap against my palm and a few seconds later I felt it again. It made me feel very happy indeed, and K___'s delighted I've finally felt it.

Mind you, if the baby kicks me once she's born, there will be trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment