Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Three Minute Boy

I feel kind of weird about the whole sex of the baby thing. I felt really bad about it at the time but when we were first told that it was a boy I was really disappointed as I had always wanted my two little girls. I was, though, obviously very very grateful to have a healthy baby and determined to get my brain around the whole thing.

We spent time talking about the baby as a boy, gave him a name and imagined our future life together. I really got quite used to talking to my little boy. I went through the baby clothes a few weeks ago and sorted them into girl clothes and neutral clothes. I couldn't help but feel a little regret for all the cute little clothes that Olivia had grown out of and that the new baby would never get to wear. We were waiting for confirmation of the sex at the 20 week scan before buying any boy stuff, but to be honest I never expected them to say it was a girl after all!

So, the news that it is more likely than not a girl has come as another surprise and has totally confused me. Although it is what I wanted all along I think it will be hard to get my brain back around the idea of the baby being a little girl. I guess it will just take time to get back around to that way of thinking.

I do wish, though, that the sonographer at Harley Street had never told us that she thought it was a boy as otherwise I would have thought it was a girl all along. The sonographer at Grantham was actually quite surprised that we were given speculation about the sex at 12 weeks as she said it is very difficult to tell at that point as the baby is so tiny.

Anyway I am over the moon to have my little girl back. It will just take a bit if time...

3 comments:

  1. Oh man. How crazy, and yes, I'm sure it has been odd to go back & forth.

    ...happy two girls!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I've said girl all along! F just strikes me as a girl-maker! However, the situation is a bit win-win. When I was pregnant with number 2, I thought another girl would be nice, and felt a bit wierd about growing something male inside me. Number 2 was of course Peter! I really wondered how it would be, but of course you know the outcome - Peter and I are like peas in a pod, whereas Clara and I are often at odds with each other, because we are so different. we'll see how it pans out with Greg! But the reason it is win-win, is because rhianna-montana is either the girl she appears, and you'll be pleased to have your precious pair, or little jake-elvis arrives as a double bluff, and you get the chance to have the mother-son love affair that sometimes seem to happen. Even after Peter was born, I still found it weird to have "made" a future man though!

    here's another thing - a bit like schroedingers cat, when i was pregnant each time, i always regarded each bump as future g OR b, and each time after the birth had to slightly mourn the baby it wasn't... if you see what I mean...!

    I'm so glad everything is going well. call me some time. I keep leaving it too late, and then not liking to phone you! I'm always checking the blog though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I'm months behind, but CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so excited for ya'll!

    ReplyDelete