Saturday, May 09, 2009

Happiness is the Road

A small rant...When I didn't have children I used to dash across the street in any gap. Now I have kids I am trying to set a good example and cross on proper crossings like a proper grown-up. We are teaching Olivia about road safety and we always play a game where she has to tell me when she sees the green man at crossings before we can cross.

Now on to the rant. What was wrong with crossing that beeped at you when the traffic light when to red and it was safe to cross? With the new generation of silent crossings I can happily stand there for hour in a dream world waiting for the already green man to go green, only to discover that it has gone back to red again. Why can't they beep? Why, oh why?

2 comments:

  1. they don't beep if they are near a crossing, to prevent someone with a visual impairment mistaking which crossing just "beeped" and stepping out into the traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, although it isn't just the visibly (oops visually) impaired people. In New Zealand the crossings beep and I have almost stepped out into traffic when I heard them one next to me go off a number of times.

    I feel your pain though, still better than being hit by a car!

    ReplyDelete