Tuesday, June 08, 2010

And You're Sick To Your Stomach

The other day I happened to see a Tweet from Papa Bradstein. "Anyone who says dawn is beautiful isn't watching it with their baby, who's been up since 3:30." it said. My sympathies, I thought. Thankfully, we've not had any such nocturnal adventures for a while.

D'oh!

Last night, I went to bed just before midnight and was surprised to find K___ still awake and surfing the web on her iPhone. An hour later, we were still both awake. A few minutes after that, Olivia walked in and projectile vomited over herself, K___, our bed and the floor.

Let's rewind a bit.

Yesterday, Olivia went to the doctor to have her three year, four month booster injections. These are the last immunisations she'll require until she's 15, when she'll have the BCG injection, and follow on from earlier injections babies have at two, three and four months. There are two injections given, one in each arm. The first is for diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough) and polio (known as the dTaP/IPV or DTaP/IPV vaccine) the second measles, mumps and rubella (MMR).

When I went to pick the girls up from their grandma's house, Liv was hamming up how much pain she was in. Grandma revealed she'd been fine five minutes previously. Nevertheless, she started getting all teary about her injections and the fact that the plasters were coming loose. Grandma gave me a leaflet with the possible side effects from the immunisations on it, and I shoved it into my pocket and forgot about it.

In the aftermath of Liv's Exorcist-impression, I definitely got the long straw, getting to comfort Liv and take her to brush her teeth, while poor K___ was left to strip herself and the bed and attempt to clean up the mess on the carpet. On one of my many trips downstairs to get clean cloths or bowls or chemical products or whathaveyou, I grabbed the leaflet from my study and had a look. Vomiting is listed, but it's not one of the more common reactions for the MMR immunisation. However, for the dTaP/IPV or DTaP/IPV vaccine, vomiting is common, affecting between 1-10% of children.

Eventually, I put myself bed downstairs, while Liv slept in our bed with K___. After all the excitement, I couldn't get to sleep and I distinctly remember 03:00 rolling round.

Today, Liv has been off her food, eating just a few mouthfuls of plain biscuit. She was made sandwiches for tea, but didn't want them in the end. Her main nutrition today has been from 4 cups of milk. After putting the kids down, I went downstairs and started checking my email. I was only at it a few seconds when a huge commotion upstairs pulled me away.

Liv had vomited again, this time all over her bedroom.

I'm off to bed as soon as I've posted this. I hope I get to stay there tonight. I blame Papa Bradstein!

1 comment:

  1. To clarify, when Jewel was up at 3, there was no chundering here. However, since your adventures, we've had two episodes of horking here today. So perhaps I should be blaming you for that...

    ReplyDelete