Monday, May 01, 2006

Day 29: And so it begins...

K___'s period is due today. At four-ish we are both awake. K___ gets out of bed and goes to the loo. I hear the metal doors of the bathroom cabinet clang and the crackle of cellophane and I know she is doing a test.

The fact of the matter is that we already know. She's had two positive tests already - very faint, but nevertheless positive. False positive tests are virtually impossible; you can test not pregnant when you are pregnant but not the other way around. The only thing that may happen is that you might have a ball of cells that fails to implant into the wall of the uterus; this might cause a positive reading but then you effectively miscarry, though it's a matter of a few cells at this point, and unlikely to be noticed. But the day of the due period is different; that's a biggie. 'So, is it still..?' This is no idle question.

I'd like to talk about how I've felt over the period getting to this point in future posts, but suffice it to say we'd thought that we had done it before, only for a period to blow those hopes out of the water. The aftermath is not easy to deal with, to say the least. I feel decidedly uneasy.

'Yes,' she says, and smiles. I relax and return it. So begins the great adventure...

My intention in creating this Blog is to write on a daily basis about my experience of the pregnancy; my hopes and fears, comments, thoughts and observations for our first child as it develops from a ball of simple cells into an embryo, a fetus and finally birth. I have no idea how this may shape up, but let's find out. My wife knows that I'm writing this Blog, and I dare say she too may leave her own comments on it from time to time.

I'm going to keep this anonymous at the moment. It may seem strange that I want to keep our secret, yet blab it to the Interwebulator at large, but it makes sense in my mind at least. If you're out there and you're reading, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I understand the identity issue. I to started a blog at the beginning and waited till it was out to put in any names at all. Best of luck and Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Is your blog still about to read?

    ReplyDelete