Monday, May 01, 2006

Day 30: 'I'm tired!'

We spent the last weekend in Dublin. We've been before, again for a weekend trip, and neither of us would dream of pretending we'd 'done Dublin'. So, did we 'do Dublin' this time?

Er, no, we didn't. Why? Because K___ is like some sort of narcoleptic at the moment, prone to falling into the arms of Morpheus as soon as blink. On May Day, we drove to Bluewater. K___ dozed next to me there and back. Got in, dozed. Wakes up, is tired.

It's our first day back at work since we've known she was pregnant for sure. I Email K___. 'How are you doing?' 'Okay, but very tired.' She's got a 12 hour shift today. She does get Thursday afternoons off, in exchange, but ouch! Fortunately, there's only a few of these left before they stop for the summer, but with the way she is right now, it's not going to be a fun evening for her, I suspect.

I wasn't expecting anything much to happen this soon. Don't get me wrong, I know that it's in the first trimester that morning sickness is most prevalent; I know things are happening behind the scenes but barely a few days have passed.

Naively, I thought there would be a gradual transition; as the tiny seed in K___'s belly got infinitesimally bigger day by day, so we would acclimatise over the same period. Ho ho ho! Not a chance. I feel different already. This Blog is doubtless proof of that - I feel inordinately proud of creating a username 'Dad_to_Be'. I don't feel I've got comfortable in that new guise yet, but I think that I will be.

Of that, at least, there's nothing of which to tire.

1 comment:

  1. A good website giving lots of useful articles and a week by week guide to whats happening with Mum and baby can be found at:
    http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/0,,nc26-3,00.html

    So exhaustion and unusual crankiness seem to be the order of the day for week 5!
    K (Mum to be)

    ReplyDelete