Sunday, October 22, 2006

Day 196 - Baby You Can Drive My Car

Behind again... Sorry!

I believe I'm right in saying that UK Haynes Manuals are available across the developed world. Certainly I can find evidence of versions for Chevys and the like, so I'm going to take a punt on saying the car manual of choice for the British motorist is possibly also the manual of choice for much of the rest of the world.

What I didn't know until my friend V____ posted it to a mailing list is that Haynes have diversified into other areas. Not content with being the standard texts for mechanics, the Haynes people found their megalomania was unsated and - the reason for posting about it on this blog - have developed a series of lifestyle manuals aimed at men. One of them is the
Baby Manual. This uses the format and much of the jargon from the car manuals (sections of the book include "Prevention of corrosion of Vital Parts" and "Understand the On-Board Diagnostic System") to engage with the sort of men who find Haynes manuals endlessly fascination.

Now, I'm not one of those men. I don't know one end of an engine from another, but nevertheless, I thought this was pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment