Sunday, September 20, 2009

They Just Move to the Other Side

Having been in and out of the doctors/hospital for about 4 weeks my Grandma had emergency surgery on Monday evening for a twisted bowel. They had warned us that she was pretty weak and that they would only do life-saving surgery. She spent the rest of the week with a million tubes and wires doing pretty much everything for her. On Thursday evening they took her off the ventilator and warned us that her organs were failing and that they would not recusitate her if crashed. She lasted 4 hours and then stopped breathing in her sleep at just after midnight on Thursday night.

I am glad that things ended how they did as I couldn't bear the thought of her breathing on her own but still having to be fed by tube etc. More than anything she valued her independence and the prognosis meant she would never be independent again. She will, however, be very much missed.

The last time I saw her, on Wednesday evening, I stroked her hand and told her about what the children had been up to. She couldn't answer as she was barely conscious and was on a ventilator but she opened her eyes really wide as I told her about the kids recent antics. I will prefer to remember her not in a hospital connected to wires and machines but a few weeks ago, sitting in my Mum's front room watching the children play and talking to Olivia. Olivia and Grace won't remember her but I am glad she got to meet them.

No comments:

Post a Comment