Thursday, June 08, 2006

Day 63 - Planning Paternity Leave

My official paternity leave will be two weeks. Working for local government, I already get the time between Christmas and New Year off work for nothing. With K___'s due date of 7th January (a Sunday), my boss suggested that I would want to take the 2nd of January to the 5th off as well. I don't reckon I will though. I can get from work to home in an hour and a half, so if her waters break, I can be back before anything major happens. I know some women have 45 minute labours but they're very much the exception not the rule.

Kate wants a home birth, so I don't have to get anywhere inconvenient. I would far rather use my paternity for after the arrival of the bambino than before. I intend to supplement the paternity with at least ten days of my own holiday entitlement so hope to have a good month available apres junior to spend cleaning up the Acidic Poop from Hell and the Vomit of Doom.

Obviously all this is up for change depending on the state of her health at the time.

Anyway, so that means no big holiday for us this year, but to be honest, that's okay (and anyway, we did do Cuba in January, so we've hardly been deprived). I don't think K___ really feels up to it at the moment. She's started asking when the 'good bit' starts. Not that she's really suffered either, but she's fed up of feeling tired all the time. Mind you, this time next year, she'll probably look back at these halcyon days.

No comments:

Post a Comment