Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Day 168 - The Cough that Came with a Prize

It's rubbish being pregnant and having a cold.

You can't take anything for it, so you just have to hawk your lungs up on an hourly basis. Nice. That's the titular prize, by the way; a lung. (Basically an excuse to get another music reference into a post title. If you want, you could try and make a list of all the titles on this Blog that have been music references in the comments. It's not all of them, but it's the vast majority. I am sad. Winner gets to be called a music geek.)

K___'s had a cold for quite a while now; nearly three weeks. Like most colds, it's not too bad during the day, but gets very much worse at night. I'm sleeping in the spare room again as I find it difficult to sleep with her coughing and being restless, and if she is asleep, I don't want my pig with extra gruntiness impressions to deprive her of what she can manage. Needless to say, this is a highly rubbish state of affairs.

She's been coughing so hard that she's been a bit worried about the baby. I wrote about the hormone Relaxin the other day and how it softens the ligaments. This means they're more likely to get pulled. Guess what coughing can do? Yeah. Rubbish, huh?

Although she didn't want to seem like she was causing a fuss, K___ eventually phoned D____ our midwife and asked her if coughing could cause problems. Not really, it seems. Babies are remarkably hardy. However, D____ did suggest K___ went to the doctors just to make sure it wasn't an infection, so she'll be going on Friday.

Of course, having made that appointment, she did say she wondered whether she wasn't a bit better this morning. Isn't that always the way?

1 comment:

  1. Bless her heart.
    I got sick like that when I was PG, and you're right---it seemed like there was NOTHING I could take.
    I took...Sudafed for the stuffiness.
    Tylenol for the fever.
    Benadryl to help me sleep through it!

    Poor K! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete