Thursday, October 26, 2006

Day 205 - Fat Bottomed Girls or should it be Paranoid?

Mum to be here again.

I'm getting bump paranoia at the moment. I am now in the ballpark of 30 weeks pregnant. I haven't put any weight on anywhere apart from my bump (which is good as I was a bit paranoid that I was going to blow up like the balloon all over). The reason for my paranoia is that various people recently have passed comment about my bump being big. I've had, 'you can't get any bigger', 'are you sure you haven't got twins in there', 'I thought you were having it in November', 'oh, are you ONLY six months' (although I am actually just about 7 months) and various confused looks when people ask me when it is due and I tell them January. My friend A____ has the opposite problem - she is about 34 weeks and people keep telling her that her bump is really small. She was slim to start off with and now has a neat bump which looks like she has a basket ball down her top.

Thing is that I really don't think mine is all that big and from what I can tell from my pregnancy books and magazines I am about where I ought to be. For weeks now the bump has been moving upwards but not particularly outwards much further. I think a lot of people either don't know or have forgotten just how big a baby bump has to get to accommodate a 6-10 pound baby, placenta, amniotic fluid etc. Considering that the 'normal' range seems to be from 37 - 42 weeks gestation she could be born in 7 weeks!!!!! That means that my tummy is now the size to accommodate a nearly made person! Taking another look at the film Dad to Be included in a previous post the bump got pretty big by the end and she started off with a flat stomach. My pre-pregnancy stomach could be described as lots of things but flat sadly wasn't one of them :)

From what I can tell it varies from woman to woman and even between different pregnancies (generally showing larger and earlier for subsequent pregnancies than the first????). I remember our friend S__ seeming big at 6 months with her second baby and we were wondering how big it would get if it continued at that pace till the end but actually she didn't seem to get that much bigger. I have also seen plenty of photos where by 9 months a bump was like a sort of shelf where you could rest things!!

It seems like you are public property when you are pregnant and people seem to think it is ok to say the most tactless things to you on a variety of pregnancy related topics and don't seem to realise they can offend.

Oh and I am still waiting for my belly button to pop out. I know some people aren't keen on outy buttons but I can't wait - a lovely addition to any bump I reckon!

1 comment:

  1. oh...I was the girl with the basketball down my shirt...for a while.
    Then, suddenly, my belly was HUGE!
    I started to look a lot further along that I was.
    People dont comprehend how big your belly has to be!
    Hang in there!
    Shrug off what people say. Somehow being pregnant makes people say anything to you. And they think it's okay!

    ReplyDelete